1. Calcium phytate treatments, iron gall ink and paper
2. Vellum bindings, especially as account books
3. Parchment repair and the use of moisture
4. Scrapbooks and related issues of housing and reformatting.
• Look here for a paper discussing scrapbooks, written for a bibliography course
• Independent study project: a condition survey of bound scrapbooks at the HRC
• Work with the production portfolios at the HRC, below:
The Performing Arts Collection of the HRC acquired
a set of production portfolios from the B. J. Simmons Company,
which created the costumes for London's theatres.
The portfolios are scrapbooks of: photographs, theatre journal clippings, notes, costume sketches, cloth samples, newspaper articles, etc.
They looked like this when they arrived:
After assessment of their conservation problems, interleaving and housing, they returned to the shelves like this: